Bosheuvel Estate, Hillcrest Estate, De Vry Distillery are some of several farming operations that include craft brewing on the sidelines. Alongside Pinzgauer stud cattle, sorghum fields, vineyards and dairy, craft brewing is an additional revenue stream and attraction. We provide the reader with a short chapter, an overview, on this sector. As usual, we list sources and role players from which you can find out more.
2. Local business environment
Changing consumer tastes in the beer market has been driving some movement from mass-produced beer towards craft beer alternatives, often representing qualities such as a unique and superior taste experience, honest artisan manufacturing, localism (in terms of brewing setting and sourcing of ingredients), naturalness and sustainable production methods. Despite the artisanal nature of craft beer, consistency in quality and taste is critical.
The social context of consumption is also a major driving force behind the growth of the craft beer industry in South Africa, with craft beer drinking often being associated with beer and other festivals, concerts, sports events or craft beer tasting at brewpubs and local markets. The number of artisanal beer breweries in South Africa increased dramatically from a number in the thirties in 2013 to over 200 in 2017, with the bulk of these found in the Western Cape (48%), Gauteng (21%), Eastern Cape (10%) and KZN (9%) (CraftBru, 2017). Some sources estimated the magnitude of local craft beer production at about 8 million to 10 million litres in 2016 with predictions of 20 million litres per annum for 2017.
Despite phenomenal growth over the last few years, craft beer might not grow to mass market appeal – mainly due to product affordability considerations (craft beer can cost more than double the price of mass-produced beer).
Source: BFAP Baseline Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 p 51
3. Role players
Some craft beer breweries
- Atlantic Storm Brewery Tel: 072 611 3366 www.atlanticstorm.co.za
- Berg River Brewery Tel: 021 871 1390 www.bergriverbrewery.co.za
- Black Oyster Tel: 028 482 1618 https://blackoystercatcher.co.za
- Bosheuvel Estate Tel: 082 553 2846 www.bosheuvelestate.co.za
- Brewhana Jbay Tel: 042 293 0448 http://brewhaha.co.za
- Cape Brewing Company (CBC) Tel: 021 863 2270 https://capebrewing.co.za
- Darling Brewery Tel: 021 286 1099 www.darlingbrew.co.za
- Devil's Peak www.devilspeak.beer
- Dissident Brewing Company http://dissident.beer
- Drifter Brewing Company Tel: 065 988 8831 www.drifterbrewing.co.za
- Hemel-en-Aarde Breweries Tel: 078 881 1020 http://hermanus.beer
- Hermanus Brewery Tel: 073 184 6076 www.hermanusbrewery.com
- Hillcrest Estate www.hillcrestfarm.co.za
- Karoo Craft Breweries Tel: 082 325 4089 www.kcbrew.co.za
- Kings Craft Brewing Company www.kingscraftbeer.co.za
- Mitchell's Brewery Tel: 044 382 4685 www.mitchellsbrewing.com
- Mountain Brewing Co Tel: 082 579 4515 www.mountainbrewing.co
- Poison City Brewing Tel: 073 040 9806 http://poison.city (Refer to the Pitjeng article under heading 4)
- Soul Barrel Brewing Company Tel: 083 600 8716 https://soulbarrel.co.za
- Spillhaus Brewery Tel: 078 306 1147 www.spilhausbrewery.co.za
- Stellenbrau Tel: 021 883 3622 http://stellenbrau.co.za
- Striped Horse Tel: 021 788 2979 www.stripedhorse.co.za
- The Italian Job Tel: 021 905 9705 http://theitalianjobbrewery.co.za
Other craft brewing
- De Vry Distillery Tel: 082 944 9290 www.devrydistillery.co.za Grain-based (sorghum) gin, vodka and brandy. Find the Snedorf article (July) under heading 4.
- Drifter Brewing Company Tel: 065 988 8831 www.drifterbrewing.co.za In addition to craft beers, a buchu gin and tonic is produced
- Inverroche Distillery Tel: 028 754 2442 http://inverroche.com/za Craft gins made from fynbos. See Bizcommunity article under heading 4 dated 2017, August 14.
- Jorgensen’s Distillery Tel: 021 864 1777 www.jd7.co.za Locally grown juniper berries, fynbos and other local plants are used to make gin. See the Harvey article.
- Sugarbird Cape Fynbos Gin www.sugarbirdgin.com Find the Snedorf article (September) under heading 4.
- Windermere Cider Tel: 011 051 9463 / 083 722 1099 www.windermerecider.co.za a pure apple cider recipe with no sugars, preservatives or additives
- Next >>