Speciality fertilisers are applied to soil, seed and plants to improve the crop’s physiological processes – its growth, blooming and maturity period.
Included in this category are inoculants, applied to the seed before planting time. Speciality fertilisers can be applied along with irrigation water, or in a controlled-release way where a pre-plant application releases nutrients for the plant throughout the time when it is growing. Speciality fertilisers might also be applied by foliar feeding where the plant absorbs nutrients through its leaves rather than through the roots. Speciality fertilisers are not only chemicals but can be plant hormones, growth stimulants or biostimulants. Seaweed extracts are included in this category.
Owing to some promising results, this is an area that has caught the attention of role players from all corners of the market, from the agrochemical to the organic/sustainable agriculture sectors.
Many of the role players in this chapter supply seed treatments.
A seed treatment or seed dressing is a chemical, typically antimicrobial or fungidal, with which seeds are treated (or “dressed”) prior to planting. Less frequently insecticides are added.Seed treatments can be an environmentally more friendly way of using pesticides as the amounts used can be very small. It is usual to add colour to make treated seed less attractive to birds if spilt and easier to see and clean up in the case of an accidental spillage.
Seed coating is a thicker form of covering of seed and may contain fertiliser, growth promoters and or seed treatment as well as an inert carrier and a polymer outer shell.
Source: excerpts from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_treatment
|Bionutrition strategies and biopesticides carry the double benefit of reducing input costs for farmers and preventing nitrate and phosphate accumulation within soils and run-off into sensitive watercourses.
See Biotechnologies for Agricultural Development (FAO, 2011), p 23.
2. Role players
- ABM Africa Division Tel: 018 632 2077 www.abm1st.co.za
- AfriKelp Tel: 021 551 3556 http://afrikelp.com
- Agrilibrium Tel: 012 803 5663 http://agrilibrium.co.za
- Agro-Hytec Tel: 021 863 2884 www.agrohytec.co.za
- Agron Tel: 013 262 6671 www.agron.co.za
- Aquasol Nutri Tel: 018 294 8901/2 http://aquasolnutri.com
- Biofix South Africa Tel: 011 409 5000 www.biofix.co.za
- Biogrow Tel: 028 313 2054 www.biogrow.co.za
- Carbon Fertiliser Technologies Tel: 042 283 0506 www.cft-sa.com
- Ecocal Tel: 016 932 2246 www.ecocal.co.za
- Eco-Green Agri Tel: 021 871 1303 https://ecogreenagri.com
- Efficient Microbes Tel: 031 266 2935 www.efficientmicrobes.co.za
- Fleuron Tel: 011 626 2928 www.fleuron.co.za
- Ground-up Fertilisers Tel: 072 439 0456 / 082 881 0301
- Gromor Tel: 031 782 3105 www.gromor.co.za
- Haifa Chemicals RSA Ltd Tel: 021 982 0309 www.haifa-group.com Haifa Group is a global leading supplier of specialty plant nutrients and food phosphates. It operates in more than 100 countries across 5 continents.
- Hygrotech SA Tel: 012 545 8000 www.hygrotech.co.za
- Karabos Natural Farming Tel: 082 443 7950 www.karabos.co.za
- Kelpak Tel: 021 786 2090 www.kelpak.com Liquid seaweed biostimulant
- Kimleigh Chemicals Tel: 018 293 1028 www.kimleigh.co.za
- Kynoch Fertilizers Tel: 011 317 2000 www.kynoch.co.za
- Liquigro Holdings Tel : 021 535 5331 www.liquigro.co.za
- MBF International Tel: 082 738 0080 www.mbfi.co.za
- Microbial Solutions (Pty) Ltd Tel: 011 475 4362 www.microbial.co.za
- Metson Tel: 011 792 8968 www.metson.co.za Metson is an agricultural manufacturing business with its main focus on a complete range of ORGANIC and GLOBALG.A.P. compliant water soluble and liquid chelated foliar feeds, liquid fertilisers, growth stimulants, crop specific nutrition, seed coatings, spray, sanitisers and rinse aids.
- Mycoroot Tel: 083 636 0706 www.mycoroot.co.za
- NutriCo SA Tel: 011 392 4072 www.nutrico.co.za
- Omnia Specialities Tel: 011 709 8778 / 8916 www.omnia.co.za and www.fertilizer.co.za
- Profert Tel: 018 293 3530 www.profert.co.za
- Rhino Agrivantage Tel: 041 451 3197 www.rhinogroupsa.co.za/solutions/agriculture and http://rhinoagrivantage.co.za
- Sidi Parani Tel: 018 298 2817 www.sidiparani.co.za
- Sienna Bionatec Tel: 018 290 5297 www.siennabionatec.com
- Soygro Tel: 018 292 1907
- STIMUPLANT CC Tel: 012 802 0940 www.stimuplant.co.za
- World Focus Tel: 013 665 4412 www.molcastagri.com
- Zylem Tel: 033 347 2893 www.zylemsa.co.za
3. Websites & publications
Visit the websites listed earlier in this chapter.
Find the reports by Markets And Markets at www.marketsandmarkets.com. These include:
- Biostimulants Market by Active Ingredient (Acid-Based & Extract Based), by Application Type (Foliar, Soil, & Seed), by Crop Type (Row Crops, Fruits & Vegetables, and Turf & Ornamentals) & by Region - Global Trends & Forecasts to 2019
- Biofertilizers Market by Type (Nitrogen-fixing, Phosphate-solubilizing & Potash- mobilizing), Microorganisms (Rhizobium, Azotobacter, Azospirillum, Cyanobacteria & Phosphate-Solubilizing Bacteria), Application, Crop Type & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Water-soluble Fertilizers Market by Type (Nitrogenous, Phosphatic, Potassic, and Micronutrients), by Application (Fertigation and Foliar Application), by Crop Type (Field, Horticultural, and Turf & Ornamentals) & by Region - Global Trends and Forecast to 2020
Find the presentations given at the FERTASA Biofertilizer Workshop (November 2017) under "Events" at www.fertasa.co.za. These include "Registration of Biological Remedies vs. Bio-Fertilizers in South Africa" by Thilivhali Nepfumbada (DAFF) and "Biofertilizers, Biostimulants, Biopesticides: Definitions, Differences & Challenges" by Stephanie Roberts (Omnia). The bioproducts market, currently worth US$3 Billion, is predicted to reach US$11 Billion by 2025.
Read the blog “Speciality fertilisers: Soygro before parliamentary committee” on www.agrihandbook.co.za in which the Soygro director argues for a different category for biological products (they are not chemicals!)