Bosheuvel Estate, Hillcrest Estate, De Vry Distillery are some of several farming operations that include craft brewing on the sidelines. Alongside Pinzgauer stud cattle, sorghum fields, vineyards and dairy, craft brewing is an additional revenue stream and attraction. We provide the reader with a short chapter, an overview, on this sector. As usual, we list sources and role players from which you can find out more.
Local business environment
Find statistics and the economic and social contribution of the South African beer industry at https://beersa.org.
The growth in craft breweries has been attributed to, amongst other things, “localism (in terms of brewing setting and sourcing of ingredients)”, “naturalness and sustainable production methods”, and the “social context of consumption” e.g. festivals, sports events, craft beer tasting at brewpubs or local markets (BFAP, 2017). That craft beer is usually more expensive than mass-produced beer is a deterrent for growth. Nonetheless, it is forecast to grow at more than 3% a year between 2019 and 2024 (Botha, 2019). The value of the South African craft beer market is estimated at R1,4 billion (Botha, 2019). The bulk of craft breweries are in the Western Cape, followed by Gauteng.
Source: The Farmer’s Weekly article by Lindi Botha and BFAP Baseline Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 p 51.
- Beer Association of South Africa https://beersa.org
- Craft Brewers Association South Africa https://cbasa.org
- Liquor Traders Association of South Africa http://ltasa.co.za [set up to respond to Covid-19 lockdown in 2020]
Training and research
- Cape Peninsular University of Technology (CPUT) Food Technology Tel: 021 959 6236 / 953 8636 www.cput.ac.za (find the Smith article under heading 4) Training
- View beverage processing equipment sold by CPUT on the AgriFood Technology Station’s pages at www.cput.ac.za/academic/faculties/appliedsciences/research/ats/food-equipment/beverage
- Central University of Technology (CUT) Centre for Applied Food Security and Biotechnology www.cut.ac.za/cafsab
- University of the Free State (UFS) Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology Tel: 051 401 2396 www.ufs.ac.za
Some craft beer breweries
- Atlantic Storm Brewery Tel: 072 611 3366 www.atlanticstorm.co.za
- Berg River Brewery Tel: 021 871 1390 www.bergriverbrewery.co.za
- Black Oyster Tel: 028 482 1618 https://blackoystercatcher.co.za
- Bosheuvel Estate Tel: 082 553 2846 www.bosheuvelestate.co.za
- Brewhana Jbay Tel: 042 293 0448 http://brewhaha.co.za
- Cape Brewing Company (CBC) Tel: 021 863 2270 https://capebrewing.co.za
- Darling Brewery Tel: 021 286 1099 www.darlingbrew.co.za
- Devil’s Peak www.devilspeak.beer
- Dissident Brewing Company http://dissident.beer
- Drifter Brewing Company Tel: 065 988 8831 www.drifterbrewing.co.za
- Hemel-en-Aarde Breweries Tel: 078 881 1020 http://hermanus.beer
- Hermanus Brewery Tel: 073 184 6076 www.hermanusbrewery.com
- Hillcrest Estate www.hillcrestfarm.co.za
- Karoo Craft Breweries Tel: 082 325 4089 www.kcbrew.co.za
- Kings Craft Brewing Company www.kingscraftbeer.co.za
- Mitchell’s Brewery Tel: 044 382 4685 www.mitchellsbrewing.com
- Mountain Brewing Co Tel: 082 579 4515 www.mountainbrewing.co
- Poison City Brewing Tel: 073 040 9806 http://poison.city (Refer to the Pitjeng article under “Websites & publications” heading)
- Soul Barrel Brewing Company Tel: 083 600 8716 https://soulbarrel.co.za
- Spillhaus Brewery Tel: 078 306 1147 www.spilhausbrewery.co.za
- Stellenbrau Tel: 021 883 3622 http://stellenbrau.co.za
- Striped Horse Tel: 021 788 2979 www.stripedhorse.co.za
- The Italian Job Tel: 021 905 9705 http://theitalianjobbrewery.co.za
Other craft brewing
- De Vry Distillery Tel: 082 944 9290 www.devrydistillery.co.za Grain-based (sorghum) gin, vodka and brandy. Find the Snedorf article (July) under “Websites & publications” heading.
- Drifter Brewing Company Tel: 065 988 8831 www.drifterbrewing.co.za In addition to craft beers, a buchu gin and tonic is produced
- Inverroche Distillery Tel: 028 754 2442 http://inverroche.com/za Craft gins made from fynbos. See Bizcommunity article under the last heading dated 2017, August 14.
- Jorgensen’s Distillery Tel: 021 864 1777 www.jd7.co.za Locally grown juniper berries, fynbos and other local plants are used to make gin. See the Harvey article.
- Loxtonia Cider Tel: 023 004 0930 www.loxtonia.co.za
- Sugarbird® Cape Fynbos Gin www.sugarbirdgin.com Find the Snedorf article (September) under “Websites & publications”.
- Windermere Cider Tel: 011 051 9463 / 083 722 1099 www.windermerecider.co.za a pure apple cider recipe with no sugars, preservatives or additives
Other role players
- Albrecht Machinery Tel: 0861 000 516 www.albrechtmachinery.co.za Processing equipment
- The Brewmistress offers craft beer training. The website http://brewmistress.co.za contains a directory of homebrewing clubs, where you can source ingredients and equipment and more…
- Brew Masters http://brewmasters.co.za A consultancy which helps with e-commerce and marketing for craft beers
- BeerLab www.beerlab.co.za Training and equipment
- Brewsters Craft Tel: 072 584 2449 http://brewsterscraft.co.za Consultanting and training
- Cape Town Festival of Beer www.capetownfestivalofbeer.co.za
- Besides its other oferings, Craftbru organises Craft Beer Tours. See https://craftbru.com
- DFS Tel: 087 238 1873 www.dfs.za.com Processing equipment
- Free State Fermenters Lawrence Cox – 084 628 1269
- Interfab Tel: 011 477 1060 www.interfab.co.za The design, fabrication and installation of stainless steel process equipment
- National Food Products Tel: 011 646 9022 http://thehomebrewshop.co.za Recipes and ingredients
- South African National Beer Trophy (SANBT) www.sanbt.com The competition attracted 212 entries in 2018.
- Tamsa Trading Tel: 041 453 3339 Processing equipment
Websites and publications
- Order online at www.arc.agric.za, call 012 842 4017 or send an email to stoltze [at] arc.agric.za for the following publications, available from the ARC Agricultural Engineering: (i) Agro-processing of fermented beverages –Beer (ii) Agro-processing of fermented beverages – Wine (iii) Agro-processing of distilled beverages –Whiskey & Brandy (iv) Agro-processing of regional and traditional fermented beverage.
- The International Finance Corporation (IFC)/Agbiz report (December 2019) on water efficiency in the agri-processing sector includes a look at malting and brewing. Find it at https://agbiz.co.za/uploads/images/sponsors/191213_Agri-processing%20Sector%20in%20South%20Africa%2011.12.19%20Single%20pages.pdf
- The Bureau for Food and Agricultural Policy (BFAP) 2017-2026 Baseline took a look at the prospects for craft brewing. Visit www.bfap.co.za.
Directories of craft beers:
- Find role players, be it for raw materials, brewing equipment, services etc, at https://cbasa.org/directory
- http://brewmasters.co.za is a platform for craft breweries in South Africa. Select province and craft beer wished for and find the result.
- Find Craftbru’s directory of craft brews and craft beer festivals at https://craftbru.com
- www.craftbeerspotter.co.za lists over 200 craft breweries.
- Order online – www.bestcraftbeer.co.za
Some international sources
- RateBeer is an international website, “Your guide to the world of beer”. See www.ratebeer.com. Many South African craft beers are listed here.
- Home craft beer & brewing, https://beerandbrewing.com
- Thomond, C. 2018, February 20. “A London craft beer brewer – in pictures”. The Guardian. Available at www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2018/feb/20/london-craft-beer-brewer-in-pictures
- Cheston, T. 2018, January 23. “This Craft Brewery Runs on the Sun”. Ecowatch. Available at www.ecowatch.com/brewery-solar-energy-2527784243.html
- Jeffreys, H. 2017, October 2. “Bottle rocket: why craft spirits are causing a stir”. The Guardian. Available at www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/02/craft-spirits-gin-whisky-new-distilleries-causing-stir
- Small Batch Beer Brewing Business is one of 10 “Cheap Businesses You Can Start In South Africa Aimed At The Local Market” listed in an article in Entrepreneur South Africa. See www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/327562.
- Greyling, S. nd. “How To Brew Your Own Beer”. Joburg.co.za. Available at www.joburg.co.za/how-to-brew-your-own-beer/
- Nielsen. 2020, July 22. “Liquor losses make for a sobering situation”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/162/206487.html
- Read the email to President Ramaphosa outlining the arguments for reopening alcohol sales, based on conditions agreed to (Bizcommunity, 2020).
- Faku D. 2020, May 17. “Alcohol sales ban costs fiscus billions”. IOL. Available at www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/alcohol-sales-ban-costs-fiscus-billions-48033382
- Nicolaides G. 2020, April 16. “Homebrews: Crafty South Africans make own alcohol to cure lockdown craving”. Eye Witness News. Available at https://ewn.co.za/2020/04/16/homebrews-crafty-south-africans-make-own-alcohol-to-cure-lockdown-craving
- Dookey X. 2020, April 16. “Yeast to the rescue as S. African go for homebrewed beer”. Eye Witness News. Available at https://ewn.co.za/video/11394/yeast-to-the-rescue-as-s-african-go-for-homebrewed-beer
- Staff Reporter. 2019, May 25. “#AfricaDay: Cape Town brewery named Best Beer in Africa”. IOL. Available at www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/food-drink/drink/africaday-cape-town-brewery-named-best-beer-in-africa-23931527
- Botha, L. 2019, May 24. “Craft beer niche market could see barley production rise”. Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/agri-news/south-africa/craft-beer-niche-market-could-see-barley-production-rise/
- Reporter. 2019, April 15. “Meet the family behind SA’s new Loxtonia Cider brand”. BizCommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/162/189746.html
- Swartz, I. 2018, December 28. “The rise (and rise!) of Mzansi’s craft beer movement”. Food for Mzansi. Available at www.foodformzansi.co.za/the-rise-and-rise-of-mzansis-craft-beer-movement
- Molenaar, H.G. 2018, October 10. “SA craft brewers finally get feasible canning option”. Drink Stuff SA. Available at www.drinkstuff-sa.co.za/sa-craft-brewers-finally-get-feasible-canning-option/
- Smith, T. 2018, October 9. “Busting your thirst, naturally”. CPUT. Available at www.cput.ac.za/newsroom/news/article/3660/busting-your-thirst,-naturally
- Pitjeng, R. 2018, October 2. “Durban craft brewery launches SA’s first cannabis beer”. Eye Witness News. Available at https://ewn.co.za/2018/10/02/durban-craft-brewery-launches-sa-s-first-cannabis-beer
- Harvey, K. 2018, August 30. “Fynbos and buchu: making SA craft gins unique”. Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/agri-business/agribusinesses/fynbos-buchu-making-sa-craft-gins-unique/
- Snedorf, S. 2018, September 7. “Meet the Maker: Sugarbird Cape Fynbos Gin”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/786/181616.html
- Snedorf, S. 2018, July 27. “Meet the Maker: De Vry Distillery”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/786/179935.html
- Reporter. 2018, May 11. “Local beer brewer extends funding round to accelerate international expansion”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/162/176963.html
- Oosthuizen J. 2018, April 5. “Craft beer brewing taking Bloemfontein by storm”. Bloemfontein Courant. Available at www.bloemfonteincourant.co.za/craft-beer-brewing-taking-bloemfontein-by-storm/
- Reporter. 2018, April 5. “Darling Brew declared carbon neutral”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/457/175529.html
- Reporter. 2017, August 14. “Lorna Scott adds female fynbos flair to SA’s gin segment”. Bizcommunity. Available at www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/162/165979.html
Share this article