5. Training and research
- Read about the AgriSETA General Education and Training Certificate: Equine and Equestrian Practices at http://regqs.saqa.org.za/viewQualification.php?id=58493
- ARC-Onderstepoort Veterinary Research (ARC-OVR) Tel: 012 529 9111 www.arc.agric.za As part of national efforts to control of African Horsesickness (AHS) in South Africa, the OVI fulfils two important functions – research and disease surveillance.
- Beaulieu College Equestrian Academy Tel: 011 468 2114 www.kyalamischools.org/beaulieu-college/home
- Cedara College of Agriculture Tel: 033 355 9304/5 Equine Diploma, Training and facilities on site
- Council of Equine and Equestrian Professionals Tel: 012 660 2696 www.ceepsa.org
- Damelin Equestrian Academy Tel: 011 948 9801 / 082 871 5467
- Elsenburg Agricultural Training Institute Structured Agricultural Education and Training Tel: 021 808 7702/98 www.elsenburg.com Equine Studies follows the EQASA qualification (Equine Qualifications Authority of SA). Modules 1-3 are studies in the first year and modules 4 & 5 in the second year
- Equestrian Academy Tel: 021 903 9568 www.equestrianacademy.co.za
- Equine Qualifications Authority of Southern Africa Tel: 044 871 5331 www.sanip.org.za
- Equine Research Centre (ERC) Tel: 012 529 8068 www.up.ac.za/equine-research-centre The ERC was established to provide scientific and veterinary services to the horseracing and breeding industry. The Centre is situated within the University of Pretoria’s Faculty of Veterinary Science at Onderstepoort.
- Equine-Librium Tel: 044 533 9513 http://equine-librium.co.za
- EquiworkSA /EquiCanis Africa www.equiworksa.co.za
- Free Form Tel: 082 491 6678 www.horseman.co.za
- NOSA Agricultural Services Tel: 087 286 9298 www.nosaagri.co.za
- Plettenberg Equestrian Academy Tel: 044 532 7590
- REC Equestrian Academy Tel: 072 247 2929 http://academyrec.co.za
- South African National Equestrian Schools Association (SANESA) http://sanesa.co.za Find provincial contact details on the website
- South African Jockey Academy Tel: 031 769 1103 www.saja.co.za Satellite campuses in the Eastern Cape, Western Cape and Gauteng.
- The School of Equine Management Excellence Tel: 033 263 1081 www.summerhill.co.za
- Tshwane University of Technology Department of Animal Science Tel: 012 382 5332 www.tut.ac.za
- University of Pretoria (UP) Faculty of Veterinary Science Tel: 012 420 3111 www.up.ac.za See also the earlier-listed Equine Research Centre (ERC).
6. Other role players
Take a look at a network of equine industry business on the Equine South Africa website – visit www.equinesa.com. Also find role players in the Livestock-related heading in the “General farm equipment” chapter in the Inputs section as well as the general “Animal husbandry” chapter.
7. Websites and publications
Visit the websites listed earlier in this chapter.
- Visit www.kejafa.com, website of Kejafa Knowledge Works, for publications which include: (i) The Complete Equine Veterinary Manual Tony Pavord & Marcy Pavord (ii) Die SA Boerperd (a full colour Afrikaans publication) (iii) Natural Horse Care Pat Coleby (iv) Storey’s Guide to Raising Horses (breeding, care, facilities) Heather Smith Thomas (v) Storey’s Guide to Training Horses (ground work, driving, riding) Heather Smith Thomas.
- Find the recommended horse books at www.equiworksa.co.za/books.php.
- Call Horse Books Unlimited at 011 315 5333 for horse books, DVDs and CD-ROMs. Their website is www.hbun.webs.com.
- HQ, “South Africa’s Premier Equestrian Magazine”. Visit www.panorama.co.za, website of Panorama Publications.
- A Guide to Animal Diseases in South Africa – Horses, Donkeys and Mules by Pamela Oberem is available from Afrivet. Visit www.afrivet.co.za.
- Find “Horses” under the “Animals” option at www.farmersweekly.co.za.
- Find the “Horses” option at https://wikifarmer.com.
- Grandin, T. & Johnson, C. (2005). Animals in Translation. London: Bloomsbury.
- Find books, DVDs and other resources at www.horsekeeping.com
- Dr Mac. 2016, March 3. "Keeping chickens in the stables". Farmer's Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/animals/horses/keeping-chickens-in-the-stables/
- << Prev