Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics within a single system. You grow the plants (vegetables) hydroponically using the fish waste as the main source of nutrients. The plants in turn purify the water for the fish.
Notes on aquaponics are provided on role player websites (see heading 2). Benefits of the system include:
- A small system can be fitted into backyards
- Low labour requirement
- No weeds or pests
- No soil cultivation necessary
- No wastage of water
- Fish waste utilised
- Higher yields and quality
- Constant production throughout the year
Ensure that you have a market for the organic produce (vegetables and fish) before you set up an aquaponic production system.
- Aquaponics Africa Tel: 035 772 4586 www.aquaponicsafrica.co.za Aquaponics Africa supplies and installs complete aquaponic systems. Advice and a manual are available.
- Aquaculture Innovations Tel: 046 622 3690 www.aquaafrica.co.za Training courses, training materials, consulting and aquaponics equipment are offered.
- Closing the Loop www.closingtheloop.co.za Aquaponics systems, advice and training offered
- Eden Aquaponics Tel: 0860 111 246 www.edenaquaponics.co.za Fresh produce and training offered
- Ichthys Aquaponics Tel: 081 009 5368 www.ichthysaquaponics.co.za Commercial set up which also offers training
- INMED South Africa Tel: 011 486 1090https://inmed.org Find “South African Adaptive Agriculture/Aquaponics” on the website.
- La Pieus Aqua www.lapieusaqua.co.za An aquaponics farm owned and operated by a 15-year old!
- My Aquaponics Tel: 010 5927856 www.myaquaponics.co.za Fish, equipment and workshops offered
- Stellenbosch University Division of Aquaculture Tel: 021 808 9146 / 2544 hbs [at] sun.ac.za www.sun.ac.za
- University of KwaZulu-Natal Ukulinga Research Farm Tel: 033 260 6825 www.ukzn.ac.za
- Urban Farmers South Africa Tel: 079 758 4703 www.urbanfarmersafrica.com
- Valverde Eco Hotel Tel: 010 591 6840 www.valverde.co.za
Websites and publications
Visit the websites listed earlier in this chapter.
- Find the information on www.fao.org. This includes documents like Small-scale aquaponic food production. Integrated fish and plant farming. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper No. 589.
- Find YouTube videos like “Aquaponics” (Purdue University) and “Small scale aquaponics”.
- Find the “Aquaponics” option at www.technologywater.com
- Aquaponics is “an emerging urban farming trend that’s ideal for big cities”. Read the article “Three Aquaponic farms in Brooklyn Killing It” on www.ecowatch.com. One of these urban aquaponic operations is VertiCulture.
- Open Source Ecology teaches people to complete modern sustainable Projects like aquaponics. Online courses can be taken from anywhere in the world. Take a look at http://opensourceecology.org.
- Phillips, G. 2018, June 26. “Innovative, sustainable aquaponics production in Berlin”. Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/agri-business/agribusinesses/innovative-sustainable-aquaponics-production-berlin/
- Kriel, G. 2017, August 18. “Aquaponics: ‘economy of scale is the key’”. Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/agri-business/agribusinesses/aquaponics-economy-scale-key/