Business planning and technical skills
- Adlibio www.adlibio.co.za Animal nutrition consultants
- Africa Agricultural Research Services (AARS) Tel: 079 519 9752 aars [at] iafrica.com AARS conducts laboratory, field and commercial trials. AARS has thirty years experience in biological contract screening and the research and development of chemicals and crops.
- AfriGrow Tel: 010 900 2058 www.afrigrow.org “People, Farms & Markets”
- Afrilema www.afrilema.com Consulting on the continent
- Among other services, Afrilogic assists businesses in entering or expanding their operations into Africa www.afrilogic.co.za.
- Agri Inspec www.mpo.co.za/agriinspec Agri Inspec is an investigation agency that renders monitoring services to agricultural and corporate industries, mainly to put a stop to illegal imports, trade and other import irregularities.
- AGRI LAND GROUP www.agrilandgroup.com Services include: Agricultural Risk Analysis, Agricultural Development Project and Business Plans, Agricultural Land Guideline Values Nationally, Land Reform Process Management, Agricultural Risk Analysis
- Agri Start Tel: 018 642 1596 / 083 265 6210 www.agristart.co.za Cois Harman has worked for the past two decades in agricultural development. Agri Start has a focus on the development needs of new commercial farmers.
- Agri-Africa Consultants www.agri-africa.co.za Agribusiness, financial, technical farm management; marketing; agricultural development; project design and management
- AgriConsult Africa www.agriconsultafrica.co.za Consulting on the continent
- Agricultural and Industrial Marketing Company www.theaimco.com Securing trade and finance instruments from banks, finding logistics solutions for communities, project management and more. Assistance with exporting is a speciality.
- Agricultural Resource Consultants Dr Jim Findlay Tel: 011 486 2254 agrecon [at] telkomsa.net and richardfindlayntc2 [at] gmail.com
- Agricultural Science Consultants Tel: 021 987 7806 www.agricscience.com Agricultural product development, efficacy and field stability trials
- Agrifusion www.agrifusion.co.za Strategic planning and mapping
- Agrimark Consulting Prof J Willemse – 083 230 1083 www.agrimarkconsultants.com Strategic agricultural market analysis, feasibility studies, agricultural trademark strategy, keynote speaker, business optimisation and project management.
- Agrimentor http://agrimentor.co.za “African solutions for African agriculture”
- Agrimotion http://agrimotion.net Soil management and crop production services
- Agriscape Projects www.agriscape-projects.co.za Turn available land into a profitable production unit.
- Alpix Pty Ltd Tel: 042 293 3024 / 082 453 5007 www.agrilandgroup.com Agricultural Business Plans, Viability Studies, Feasibility Studies, Financial Risk Analysis, Property Valuations, Valuation Training, Valuation Guidelines, Biological Asset Valuations
- AMT Tel: 073 140 2698 www.amtrends.co.za Accurate and timely information pertaining to agricultural markets, feasibilty studies etc.
- ANDISA Agri Duncan Pringle – 082 807 5587 Dr Sazile Mtshali – 072 607 1266 www.andisaagri.com strategic planning; Value Chain Analysis; business planning and feasibility studies; managing “change of control” transactions and land reform transaction advisory; land reform policy research; project management; micro-finance product design and outgrower schemes; finance raising, debt, equity and grants; EIA agricultural economic assessments; due diligence assessments; training & mentoring; rural development
- Ayo Technology Solutions (AYO) “empowers organisations across Africa through technology” and supports African start-ups. See https://ayotsl.com
- Biochemical and Scientific Consultants http://bsclaboratory.com An analytical laboratory providing both chemical and microbiological testing
- Blue North http://bluenorth.co.za Equipping agricultural and food businesses with the understanding, strategies and tools
- BSSA Consulting Tel: 083 454 5129 gerrie [at] bhtg.co.za Business plans, marketing plans, access to grants and funding, entrepreneurial training etc.
- Charles St. Veterinary Consultancy www.csvet.co.za Animal Production consultants
- College of Sustainable Development www.eli.co.za Management performance workshops and agribusiness development consulting
- CMB Consultants cmblignaut [at] ewklibrary.com www.ewklibrary.com Food and beverage consultant
- Croftland Business Development Services (Croftland BDS) www.croftlandbds.com A business advisory, investment, implementation and support services company.
- David Gates Consulting http://davidgatesconsulting.com Intensive ornamental & floriculture horticulture industry
- Delphy South Africa https://delphy.nl/en/country/south-africa Dutch consultants helping with vegetables, covered growing and more
- Drakensberg Agricultural (Drak Agri) Contracting Tel: 084 517 4705 www.drakagri.co.za Services offered: soil preparation, planting, seed drilling, forage harvesting, combine harvesting, spraying, top dressing and liming
- EMG Agri Solutions www.emgsolutions.co.za Socio-economic development, management consulting, project management
- EVN AFRICA strengthens irrigation and other agricultural co-operatives www.evn.co.za/community-agriculture.php
- Expand into Africa Tel: 021 786 3005 www.expandintoafrica.com Assistance with ventures and agricultural development projects in Africa.
- Farm-IT www.farm-it.co.za An agronomy consulting service is offered, along with software
- FarmVision www.farmvision.co.za FarmVision runs consultancy services to private and public institutions. They consult in agriculture, resource management, wildlife management, quality management and project management. They also offer training.
- Flori Scientific Services Tel: 082 564 1211 johannesmaree [at] absamail.co.za Environmental and horticultural consulting, GIS and mapping, Wetlands, terrestrial & aquatic ecology, EIAs and water user licenses applications
- Food Safety in South Africa, “world class food safety training” www.foodsafetyinsa.co.za.
- FoodNCropBio Dr Wynand J van der Walt Tel. 012 347 6334 / 083 468 3471 wynandjvdw [at] telkomsa.net Consulting services include biosafety, intellectual property, seed trade and regulatory systems
- GPB Consulting www.consultgpb.co.za GPB Consulting are consulting engineers and planners with experience in techno-economic and feasibility studies, planning and layout of facilities for processing, handling and storage of agricultural products.
- Green Veterinary Group Practice www.greenvet.co.za Animal production consultants and off-grid/alternative services design consultant.
- Imani Development consulting company works in agriculture and value chain development, trade policy and trade facilitation, regional economic integration and more. See https://imanidevelopment.com.
- Integrated Development Expertise (INDEX) offers land use planning and agricultural development services Tel: 012 346 5307 www.indexsa.net
- Jan de Jong Tel: 082 783 9538 www.jandejongconsulting.co.za Agricultural business strategy, financial and livestock consultant
- Juventis www.juventis.co.za Agricultural advisor & strategic analyst. Pig breeding specialist.
- Langplaas Organics Tel: 012 252 3653 https://langplaasorganics.co.za Compost, biofertilisers, natural pest control and consulting
- Leading Edge Farming Tel: 017 200 0730 http://leadingedgesa.co.za Crop and livestock production
- Lourens, Wayne Tel: 072 288 0314 ingwenet [at] iuncapped.co.za www.linkedin.com/in/wayneingwelourens/ Food security and small-scale/emergent farmer development and off-grid/alternative services design consultant, for KwaZulu-Natal Midlands areas.
- Luriware Consulting Agricultural Engineers www.luriware.co.za Consulting agricultural engineers
- Manstrat Development Strategists www.manstrat.co.za Internet based agricultural information system developed and maintained for farmers
- Mava Research Corporation Tel: 78 676 5213 www.mava.co.za provides consulting services to companies in engineering, food, timber, software, energy, consumer goods and agriculture industries
- MBB Services International www.mbb.co.za Agricultural and environmental engineering and project management. Branches in Pietermaritzburg, Nelspruit, Grahamstown and Mtunzini.
- Measured Farming Tel: 033 345 2508 / 082 458 4335 clive [at] clivehenderson.co.za Valuations and assignments in the fields of Agriculture and Forestry, with specific reference to matters relating to court work as a result of damage to crops by fire and chemicals etc, dissolution of partnerships, Rights of Way, expropriation of land, and Land Claims.
- Measured Farming Consultants (Pty) Ltd www.mfconsultants.co.za Consult in valuations and the purchase of farms, but also with market surveys, technical advice, land use planning and development, accounting etc.
- Merieux NutriSciences www.merieuxnutrisciences.com/za/ Food labelling consulting, HACCP and hygiene-related training
- Mett’s mette.bunkenborg [at] metts.dk Import-export consulting to Denmark
- MILDEX – Peter Milton Livestock Consultant www.petermilton.co.za Financial advisor and project planning for livestock projects
- Nerpo Consulting and Training Tel: 012 492 1383 www.nerpo.org.za Key services offered include mentorship to SMEs
- NviroTek Labs Tel: 012 252 7588 / 082 889 0139 www.nviroteklabs.co.za Independent analysis of soil, water, plants, fertiliser and feed
- Orchard Management Systems www.orchman.com Technical and management consulting services to the fruit and wider horticultural industry
- Original Agricultural Business Systems (OABS) www.oabs.co.za An Agricultural Economics consultancy firm with a systems approach to problem solving. Find the list of past and current projects on the website.
- PetWim Agric Consultants www.farmingsuccess.com Dr Wim Nell is one of the co-authors of the excellent Strategic approach to farming success publication.
- Plant Science Consultants Association (PSCA) c/o Hannelie Marais hanneliemar [at] gmail.com The Plant Science Consultants’ Association has over 40 members offering services in product development and the registration of crop protection products and associated remedies to local and foreign companies. Members are positioned throughout South Africa and can conduct field trials on almost any crop grown in the country. A list of members and their fields of expertise can be found at www.croplife.co.za under “Members”.
- Ramsay Animal Agriculture Keith Ramsay retired from DAFF and offers his services as a consultant, focusing on herd selection for functional efficiency and does a bit of training. Write to him at keithrms9 [at] gmail.com.
- Rapid Farming Tel: +267 7653 1602 petermmereki [at ] yahoo.com Range management solutions in Botswana and beyond
- Ross Agri Services www.rossgro.co.za Consult on all aspects of the poultry industry
- Scientific Roets www.scientificroets.com An Agricultural Project Management and Training, and Consulting Engineering firm specialising in rural development projects (deep rural areas – either in South Africa or Africa).
- SOURCE Tel: 021 871 1669 www.oursource.co.za Agri-planning, forecasting and other services to farmers, exporters and agri-financing institutions
- TAMMAC Consultants CC www.tammac.co.za Agricultural consultants in preparing comprehensive business plans and dairy feasibility studies
- Urban-Econ: Development Economists www.urban-econ.com They are a professional consulting firm in the broad field of economic development, including agriculture.
- Value Chain Solutions https://valuechainsolutions.co.za Value Chain development and efficiency optimization
- Van Vliet De Wet & Partners Tel: 011 726 8195 Planning, design and construction of plant and equipment for abattoirs and for the meat industry
- Veterinary House Hospital Tel: 033 342 4698 www.vethouse.co.za General practice but with specialist interest in production animal medicine and veterinary problem analysis. Contracts often to feedlots.
- ViabilityConsult Tel: 082 871 5229 https://viabilityconsult.business.site Feasibilitty studies, business plans, developing opportunities, implementation and training
- Visual Viticulture http://visualviticulture.co.za Viticulture and GIS consultants
- Womiwu Rural Development www.womiwu.com Products & services include: investigations, feasibility/viability studies, business plans, proposals, farm planning and resource conservation, project implementation, turnkey management, BEE ventures/initiatives
Banks have teams of agricultural advisors, who work closely with the agricultural managers. The role of these economists includes giving assistance and advice on business planning, feasibility studies, compiling of comprehensive agricultural reports, and strategic planning and expansion programmes. This specialist service is available on request for a fee. For more information, contact your local agricultural advisor or manager.
Universities offer consulting services. Some examples are:
- University of the Free State (UFS) Department of Agricultural Economics www.ufs.ac.za/agri-econ
- UFS Centre for Sustainable Agriculture, Rural Development and Extension www.ufs.ac.za/censard
- UFS Department Animal, Wildlife and Grassland Sciences www.ufs.ac.za/animal
- University of Stellenbosch Business School – Executive Development (USB-ED Ltd) www.usb-ed.com The consulting division of the Stellenbosch Business School
- Enterprises UP www.enterprises.up.ac.za Research and advisory services
Accessing government incentives
There are some 27 companies, affiliated to the Incentives Consultants Association (ICA) which can help you tap into incentives and funds on offer. Find contact details at www.incentiveconsultants.co.za.
Finance and administration
- Agfin Tel: 043 726 1470 https://agfinza.wordpress.com Book-keeping, prepare financial statements
- See Agricultural and Industrial Marketing Company entry under first heading
- CaneFarms www.sacanegrowers.co.za
- Excell Financial Advisors www.excell.co.za
- Fourie Rekenkundige Paraktyk www.frp.co.za
- Key Business Solutions www.keybs.co.za Business IT Consultant
- L & L Agricultural Services Tel: 012 807 3958 / 4191 www.llagric.co.za L & L Agricultural Services provides managerial, administrative, secretarial and linguistic services to agricultural and other entities.
- Old Mutual Tel: 0860 347 328 www.oldmutual.co.za/personal/financial-planning/agri Financial advisers and brokers
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Tel: 021 815 3000 www.pwc.co.za/en/industries/agribusiness.html As trusted business advisor the Agri Industry Group focuses on providing specialist services e.g. tax, accounting, entrepreneurial advice, internal audits etc.
- Van der Walt & Co Association Management Services www.vdw.co.za
- Ventex Corporation www.ventex.co.za Mergers and acquisitions, agriBEE, financial planning
Real estate and valuations
Alpix Pty Ltd Tel: 042 293 3024 / 082 453 5007 www.agrilandgroup.com Agricultural Business Plans, Viability Studies, Feasibility Studies, Financial Risk Analysis, Property Valuations, Valuation Training, Valuation Guidelines, Biological Asset Valuations
Measured Farming Consultants (Pty) Ltd http://mfconsultants.co.za Consult in valuations and the purchase of farms, but also with market surveys, technical advice, land use planning and development, accounting etc.
The agricultural weekly publications Landbouweekblad and Farmer’s Weekly cover agricultural property sales, as do their websites (find the “Auctions and Farm Sales” menu option at www.farmersweekly.co.za). www.landbou.com has a data bank of farm prices for the past decade.
Some websites advertising farms for sale: www.adek.co.za, www.agrisell.co.za, www.agri-land.co.za, www.gamefarmsinafrica.co.za, www.gamefarmestates.co.za, www.safarmtraders.co.za, www.jackklaff.co.za, www.hoskens.co.za, www.kznfarmsales.co.za.
Share this article