Laboratories play a vital role in the monitoring and effectiveness of the agricultural value chain.
- Resources like soil and water are evaluated. Precision agriculture and its accurate application of fertiliser, for example, depend on the soil tests.
- Inputs like animal feed and fertiliser are analysed. Using tainted inputs like fertiliser can have a detrimental effect on a whole sector.
- Tests and monitoring which happen in laboratories play a vital role in the country’s livestock industry and biosecurity.
- Agricultural products, both in their primary and secondary form, are monitored to ensure quality and food safety.
A look at the company websites will give an indication of the services available.
National strategy and government contact
- Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development (DALRRD) National Analytical Services Tel: 021 809 1718. More information available under the Food Safety and Quality Assurance pages at www.dalrrd.gov.za. An Info Pak “National Analytical Services” also sets out services and functions.
- National Health Laboratory Services Tel: 011 386 6000 www.nhls.ac.za
- South African National Accreditation System (SANAS) Tel: 012 394 3760 www.sanas.co.za
- Agri-Laboratory Association of Southern Africa (AgriLASA) www.agrilasa.co.za Contact details of the various personnel are on the website.
- South African Association of Veterinary Technologists (SAAVT) www.saavt.co.za
- The South African Wine Laboratory Association (SAWLA) is a division of the South African Society for Enology and Viticulture (SASEV). Find information at www.sasev.org.
- Find the International Dairy Federation’s Dairy Laboratories Database at www.idfdairylaboratories.org
Agribook.Digital’s Featured Partners
Nvirotek Laboratoriums – An independent national, world class analytical facility for Agriculture in Southern Africa.
AMIS Matrix Reference Materials – Quality Mineral CRMs for all your analytical requirements
Click here to become a featured partner and have your Agribusiness listed here.
Is your laboratory struggling with Analytical Bias?
Analytical (assay) bias results from differences in methods, techniques and calibrations and is an issue in all branches of analytical science (chemical, biological etc).
It is a property that can be measured by inter-laboratory testing and can be detected with a well-designed assay quality assurance programme using control samples, data quality objectives and control rules. These programmes measure assay results for accuracy and precision and assure the required analytical quality at a minimum cost.
AMIS has a wide range of matrix matched standards that can assist your laboratory in eliminating analytical bias. Our CRMs can help you as follows:
- All our CRMs are matrix matched, so you can find a matrix that behaves similar to the samples that you analyse
- All of our CRMs are certified using different analytical methods, so you can choose the method that works best for your lab.
- Over and above these, AMIS offers Inter Laboratory Testing in partnership with AGRILASA. We run a fully confidential Proficiency Testing (PT) program that allows you to assess your laboratory’s performance against global peers and you will be provided with comprehensive reports that can be used to optimize your laboratory and improve your lab’s accuracy and precision.
Some additional benefits of AMIS CRMs:
- Can assist with attaining or maintaining your ISO 17025 accreditation
- Participation in PT schemes allows your laboratory to become more globally competitive
Find the AMIS page here.
Companies and other role players
Find a list of AgriLasa members at www.agrilasa.co.za.
Many agricultural companies have their own laboratories e.g. De Heus (Pty) Ltd and Chemtech (Omnia).
Parastatals like the Agricultural Research Council (ARC) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) provide laboratory services. Find details on the “Research and development” page.
The Provincial Departments of Agriculture provide laboratory services e.g. find the Western Cape Department of Agriculture Analytical Services information under “Services and Programmes” at www.elsenburg.com. At Cedara, contact the Scientific Manager at 033 355 9450 or email les.thurtell [at] kzndard.gov.za. Contact details of the provinces are given on the “Agriculture in the Provinces” page.
- Africa Agricultural Research Services (AARS) Tel: 079 519 9752 aars [at] iafrica.com
- African Mineral Standards (AMIS) Tel: 011 923 0800 www.amis.co.za Interlaboratory Testing Schemes improve laboratory quality control
- Akasha Irrigation Management http://akashairrigation.co.za
- Aspirata Tel: 012 685 0800 www.aspirata.co.za
- Barnlab Tel: 087 625 0756 www.barnlab.co.za
- Bemlab Tel: 021 853 1490 www.bemlab.co.za
- Biochemical and Scientific Consultants cc Tel: 033 343 1414 http://bsclaboratory.com
- Bioindustrial Services Tel: 011 822 8135 www.bioindustrial.co.za
- Bureau Veritas Tel: 011 661 7915 https://group.bureauveritas.com
- Central Analytical Laboratories (CAL) www.calsa.co.za
- Coen Bezuidenhout Seed Test Centre Tel: 012 819 8100 www.beans.co.za
- Deltamune Tel: 012 664 5730 / 086 113 3582 www.deltamune.co.za
- There is an AgriLab at Dube Tradeport in KwaZulu-Natal. See www.dubetradeport.co.za.
- ExperiCo Agri-Research Solutions Tel: 021 887 1134 www.experico.co.za
- Food Consulting Services Tel: 011 315 5007 www.foodconsulting.co.za
- Hearshaw and Kinnes Analytical Laboratory Tel: 021 702 4131 www.hkal.co.za
- Hortec Tel: 021 859 4242 www.hortec.co.za
- Inqaba Biotech Tel: 012 343 5829 www.inqababiotec.co.za
- Integral Laboratory Tel: 076 413 5435 http://integrallabs.co.za/
- Intertek Tel: 011 914 4044 www.intertek.com
- MERIEUX NutriSciences www.merieuxnutrisciences.com/za/ and www.lactolab.co.za
- Microchem Lab Services Tel: 021 465 6997 www.microchem.co.za
- MLS Tel: 010 010 0685 www.mlslabs.co.za
- Mobile Agri Skills Development and Training (MASDT) www.masdt.co.za South Africa’s first mobile agricultural laboratory
- Molecular Diagnostic Services (Pty) Ltd Tel: 031 267 7000 www.mdsafrica.net Services include testing for infectious diseases and genetic mutations
- Nemlab Tel: 021 875 8160 http://nemlab.co.za
- NivroTek Labs Tel: 012 252 7588 / 082 889 0139 www.nviroteklabs.co.za Watch the Nvirotek Agricultural Laboratories video on YouTube (6 minutes)
- Perishable Products Export Control Board (PPECB) Tel: 021 930 1134 http://ppecb.com/services/laboratory-and-analytical-services/
- Pesticide Analytical Technology (Pty) Ltd Tel: 012 548 6375 www.patech.co.za and www.i2analytical.com pesticide analysis laboratory
- SAPO Trust www.saplant.co.za
- SenseLab Tel: 083 461 9584 http://senselab.co.za
- Set Point Laboratories Tel: 011 923 7100 www.setpointwaterlaboratories.co.za
- SGS South Africa www.sgs.co.za/
- South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) Food and Health Cluster Tel: 012 428 7911 www.sabs.co.za
- Southern African Grain Laboratory (SAGL) Tel: 012 807 4019 www.sagl.co.za SAGL has dedicated laboratories and technical capability to provide a comprehensive range of tests on grain and related food and feed products. Laboratory training is also done. Find details on the website.
- South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) Tel: 031 508 7400 https://sasri.org.za
- Talbot & Talbot Laboratories Tel: 033 346 1444 www.talbot.co.za
- Unistel Animal Services Tel: 021 938 9213/4 www.unistelanimalservices.co.za
- Vetdiagnostix www.vetdiagnostix.com Veterinary pathology services in KwaZulu-Natal and the Western Cape.
- Vriesit Veterinary Andrology Services Tel: 012 547 0446 www.vriesit.com Analysis of the semen of bulls, pigs and horses
- Wynland Laboratories www.wynlandlab.co.za
- ZZ2 Laboratories Tel: 015 395 8521 www.zz2.biz
Suppliers of equipment
- African Mineral Standards (AMIS) Tel: 011 923 0800 www.amis.co.za Certified Reference Materials (CRMs) are used to measure your laboratory Quality
- African Scientific Technologies www.afriscientific.co.za
- Agri-Enviro Solutions Tel: 012 940 5921 www.aelab.co.za
- Analytical & Diagnostic Products Tel: 011 794 5959 www.adpsa.co.za
- Anatech www.anatech.co.za
- Bruker South Africa Tel: 011 463 6040 www.bruker.edx.co.za
- Bull Maurice Trading cc Tel: 011 026 4077 / 7266 www.bullmaurice.com
- Campbell Scientific Africa Tel: 021 880 9960 http://campbellscientific.co.za
- Labotec Tel: 011 315 5434 www.labotec.co.za
- Labotronics naomi [at] labotronics.com www.labotronics.com
- Labretoria Tel: 012 460 2249 www.labretoria.com
- Microsep Tel: 011 553 2300 www.microsep.co.za
- Monitoring and Control Laboratories Tel: 011 608 4664 http://moncon.co.za
- Spraytech Tel: 021 946 2872 www.spraytech.co.za
- Stargate Scientific www.stargatescientific.co.za Equipment and consumables supplied into many industry laboratories. Offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
- United Scientific Tel: 021 592 5240 www.unitedscientific.co.za
- Unitemp Tel: 011 966 9800 www.unitemp.com
- YIELD TEAM http://yieldteam.com/ Laboratory equipment for the analysis of grain, oil and feed
Training and research
- Universities have laboratories for training and research, and also offer services to companies.
- Some of the role players [e.g. Southern African Grain Laboratory (SAGL) and Merieux NutriSciences] listed earlier in the chapter offer training.
Share this article