Precision farming utilises six ultra-modern technologies:
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS), which provides a navigation system to establish a position of a tractor or combine anywhere in a land within less than 2 meters on a latitude-longitude grid overlay.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – GIS Computers capture, manage and analyse spatial data related to crop productivity and field inputs.
- Variable Rate Technology (VRT), which provides “on-the-fly” control of field inputs.
- Optical satellite imagery – provides real-time monitoring of crop development and anomalies due to variation in soil potential, physical or climatic variables, pest and diseases, or nutrient deficiencies.
- Satellite Imagery and Aerial Imagery
- Near Infra Red (NIR) Ortho rectified Imagery. This is becoming a very important technology – initially with timber and wine farmers but spreading to all farmers.
Information derived from these technologies allows farmers to:
- apply inputs such as fertilisers and seed at variable rates exactly where they are needed
- make more efficient use of these inputs
Precision Farming promotes good stewardship of the land for future generations, and preserves its potential for multiple uses.
At a time when the farmer is faced by decreasing profit margins and changing climates, precision farming is a smart way to farm.
Training and research
Johan van Biljon at ARC-Agricultural Engineering researches how drones assist with precision farming. Write to vbiljonj [at] arc.agric.za.
The ARC-Soil, Climate and Water (ARC-SCW) has a section focusing on precision farming research and implementation. Specialised equipment, together with an extensive database of satellite imagery, is used to develop products to assist farmers in improving their profitability through precision farming. Take a look at www.arc.agric.za, write to iscwinfo [at] arc.agric.za or phone 012 310 2500.
Companies involved supply training in their products. Find their details under “Companies”
Elsenburg (Western Cape Department of Agriculture) Mike Wallace (dr): mikew [at] elsenburg.com, FC Basson: fcbasson [at] elsenburg.com, www.elsenburg.com
The North-West University, Potchefstroom Campus, runs workshops on precision farming. Astrid Hattingh from HANDRID Flora is the contact: contact details are under the “Companies involved” heading over the page. Alternatively, email Carina.debeer [at] nwu.ac.za.
The Unit for Environmental Sciences and Management at North-West University in Potchefstroom does research on soils and can help with precision farming and fertiliser recommendations. Call PW van Deventer at 018 285 2267 or write to him at 10058591 [at] nwu.ac.za.
Agricultural Management, a division of the Department of Agricultural Economics, does research on precision farming. Find the many papers and publications done on this topic on the website.
University of Pretoria Department of Plant Production and Soil Science Tel: 012 420 3809 / 3223 www.up.ac.za
Find details of the other universities and short course providers on the “Agricultural education and training” page.
- Aciel Geomatics Tel: 011 312 75450 www.aciel-geomatics.com
- AE Solutions Tel: 012 940 5921 www.aelab.co.za
- Aerobotics Tel: 064 783 2249 www.aerobotics.io “Early pest and disease detection guided by drone and satellite imagery”
- Afriweather Tel: 021 851 5134 www.afriweather.co.za For instrumentation to monitor weather elements and soil moisture conditions
- Agrigel Tel: 013 668 0000 www.agrigel.co.za liquid fertiliser applications for precision farming
- AgriScan Tel: 083 327 0138/076 951 1728 www.agriscan.co.za Weekly weather and Crop Bulletin, satellite readings and information
- Agrista Tel: 011 083 7023 www.agrista.com
- Cerealis Group Tel: 018 632 0362 www.cerealis.co.za
- Crop Systems Tel: 021 975 4633 www.cropsystems.co.za
- DFM Technologies Tel: 021 904 1154 https://dfmtechnologies.co.za Products include the DFM Irrigation Control System and DFM Continuous Soil Moisture Probe.
- Effective Farming Solutions SA Tel: 013 243 0516 / 087 940 3569 www.efarming.co.za
- Electrolee Tel: 012 347 3193 www.electrolee.co.za Monitor the flow of seed, fertiliser and axle rotation.
- ESRI South Africa Tel: 011 238 6300 www.esri-southafrica.com Find agriculture under the industries option on the website.
- Farm-IT Solutions Tel: 083 653 6244 www.farm-it.co.za Farm-IT services include: farm management system remote sensing/GPS surveying agronomists and soil mapping emerging farmer strategy formulation and support
- Farm Quip SA Tel: 071 659 9702 www.farmquipsa.com
- Geo Agro Africa Tel: 016 454 0566 http://site.geoagro.com/en
- GeoFarmSA Tel: 012 348 4586 www.geospace.co.za/geofarmsa/
- HANDRID Flora Tel: 079 893 6537 astridhattingh [at] yahoo.com Precision farming consultants
- Hotsure Tel: 0861 468 873 www.hotsure.co.za
- Integrated Value Information System (IVIS) Tel: 082 427 3738 www.ivis.africa allows viewers to gain an aerial view of land and to zoom in digitally
- Intertek Agricultural Services Tel: 011 964 1004 charles.botha [at] intertek.com www.intertek.com
- John Deere www.deere.co.za
- Land Resources International Tel: 033 392 8360 www.lri.co.za Derived from leading edge airborne remote sensing technology, LREye™ Imagery provides growers with vital crop performance information. Recurrent crop problems can be tracked over time, allowing for cost-effective containment and solution-planning.
- Lantek SA Tel: 082 374 4760 www.lanteksa.co.za
- LDR Precision Farming Technologies Tel: 011 396 1065 www.ldrprecision.co.za
- Lemken SA Tel: 012 993 5929 https://lemken.com/en-za Implements and electronic control instruments for precision farming
- MAPCO Tel: 017 712 7020/3 www.mapcosa.co.za
- MySmartFarm https://mysmart.farm/
- NEL Precision Farming Tel: 018 771 9704 www.agleader.com and http://nelprecisionfarming.co.za/agri/solutions/harvest/
- New Holland Tel: 056 212 4822 www.newhollandplm.com, www.nhsa.co.za
- Northmec www.northmec.co.za/afs/ Read about software, autopilot, steering, correction service etc under the Advanced Farming Systems (AFS) option on the website
- NviroTek Labs (Pty) Ltd Tel: 012 252 7588 / 082 889 0139 www.nviroteklabs.co.za National, independent laboratory services for agriculture. Analyses of soils, plants and water are critical to ensure optimum yields of any type of crop, being produced.
- NWK Ltd Agricultural Management Services Tel: 018 633 1143 www.nwk.co.za
- Available services at OMNIA Fertilizer Ltd include detailed soil-and chemical maps for integrating into the Precision Farming process (OmniPrecise™). An Agronomic team can make recommendations on how to develop the Precision Farming process, step by step. Call 011 709 8760 / 888 and visit www.omnia.co.za. and www.fertilizer.co.za.
- PACSys www.pacsys.co.za/
- Promeet Michiel Theron – 082 802 2442 promeet [at] lantic.net
- Quantum Field Services Tel: 056 213 3222 www.qtfs.co.za
- Ronin Precision Farming Systems Tel: 011 606 2194 www.roninpfs.com Read about the available precision farming equipment on the website. Ronin is also the agent for several overseas companies like Trimble, RDS and DICKEY-john.
- SGS Nviro Crop Tel: 011 800 1000 www.nvirocrop.com
- Swift Geospatial Agricultural Tel: 012 348 9555 http://swiftgeospatial.solutions/agriculture/
- Technifarm Tel: 028 514 3140 www.technifarm.co.za
- Teejet Technologies South Africa Tel: 031 830 5240 www.teejet.com
- Terratek Tel: 018 581 1269 www.terratek.co.za
- TOPCON Tel: 018 468 2822 www.topconpa.com
- Valtrac supplies Pottinger products like camera-assisted seedbed preparation systems and automatic animal detection systems. Tel: 056 817 7308 www.valtrac.co.za
- Vantage SSA Tel: 012 683 4500 https://vantage-ssa.com Trimble and Muller precision farming products
Climate monitoring systems can halve the use of water for farmers. Find companies who offer weather services in “Weather and climate”.
Websites and publications
Refer to the websites listed earlier in this chapter.
- Uys, G. 2018, June 21. “Pursuing soil health precisely”. Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/crops/field-crops/pursuing-soil-health-precisely
- Erasmus, D. 2018, April 13. “Will technology end hunger?” Farmer’s Weekly. Available at www.farmersweekly.co.za/opinion/blog/letter-from-the-editor/will-technology-end-hunger/
- A Farm Journal study in Illinos (USA) suggests that Precision Farming can benefit smaller farms as well as large operations. Find the article “Rough ground and odd-shaped fields might increase the value” (2016, September) at www.agweb.com.
Share this article