Find information on the production process at www.safja.co.za, website of the South African Fruit Juice Association.
Fruit Juice is a drink produced by squeezing or crushing fruit. In South Africa, there are specific regulations relating to fruit juices and what they may contain in terms of additives and preservatives, and that sets the definition for what a fruit juice must be called, based on its composition. There are four categories: fruit drinks, carbonated fruit drinks, nectar and pure fruit juice (BMi, 2013). Read about the differences here.
International business environment
- The global fruit juice market reached 60.7 billion litres in retail sales in 2017 (Insight Survey, 2018). The largest market was the Asia-Pacific region, followed by North America and Western Europe (Insight Survey, 2018).
- Orange juice is included in the monthly “Citrus: World Markets and Trade” from the USDA at https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/citrus.pdf
- Orange juice production: Brazil, US, Mexico, EU and China (South Africa in 6th place) (USDA, 2018)
- Orange juice exporters: Brazil, Mexico, EU, US and South Africa (USDA, 2018)
- Many of the leading markets for South African fruit juices are close to home: Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Swaziland and Mauritius. South Africa enjoys duty free market access here as a result of the SADC Free Trade Agreement (Insight Survey, 2016).
Visit the following websites:
- The International Fruit and Vegetable Juice Association (IFU) represents some 54 countries. Visit www.ifu-fruitjuice.com
- The Juice Products Association and Juice Central (USA), http://juiceproducts.org and http://juicecentral.org
- Find featured articles, documents, DVDs and lists of international members on the Juice CSR Platform website, http://juicecsr.eu. See also the European Fruit Juice Association (AIJN) website, www.aijn.org.
- Fruit Juice Australia, www.fruitjuiceaustralia.org
- Fruit Juice Matters, https://fruitjuicematters.eu/en (“Share the Science. Celebrate the goodness”)
Local business environment
In South Africa the fruit juice market achieved a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.1% over 2012 to 2017, and is expected to continue growing at over 10% the next five years (Insight Survey, 2018). The growth is largely attributed to the adoption of a higher nutritional and health awareness amongst consumers.
Find out about the South African Fruit Juice Industry Landscape Report (compiled May 2018) at www.insightsurvey.co.za/2018-south-african-fruit-juice-industry-report.
Find the associations listed in the “Fruit” chapter.
- Consumer Goods Council of South Africa Tel: 011 777 3300 www.cgcsa.co.za
- Food Advisory Consumer Service Tel: 012 428 7122 www.foodfacts.org.za
- South African Fruit Juice Association Tel: 021 872 4145 www.safja.co.za
Also refer to this heading in the general “Agro-processing” chapter. Other departments of relevance include the Department of Health and the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti).
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF)
- Directorate International Trade Ms Nokwanele Mabhunu Tel: 012 319 8188
- Directorate Agro-processing Support Tel: 012 319 8457/8
- Subdirectorate Agricultural Product Quality Assurance Theo van Rensburg Tel: 021 319 6023/20
Find information on all Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries directorates under “Branches” at www.daff.gov.za.
DAFF has appointed Impumelelo Agribusiness Solutions to perform inspection services under the Agricultural Products Standard Act. Existing fruit juice regulations (R286) are being updated and simplified, something which is viewed favourably by the industry (Die Krat, April 2017).
Training and research
- ARC-Agricultural Engineering (ARC-AE) Tel: 012 842 4017 Included in this campus’ mandate is agro-processing. Read about possibilities for processing citrus fruit and contact the ARC-IAE for the manual on the Agro-processing of Citrus Fruit.
- ARC-Infruitec/Nietvoorbij Tel: 021 809 3100 www.arc.agric.za Training courses offered include the following outcomes: (i) Basic skills in fruit sorting, choosing suitable varieties for juice making (ii) Extraction and juicing methods for cottage industry (iii) Extraction for industrial purposes (iv) Packing and preservation of fruit juice to extend shelf life (v) Business skills to manage juicing plant/ business
- FoodBev Tel: 011 253 7300 www.foodbev.co.za FoodBev is the Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) responsible for facilitating education and training in the food and beverages manufacturing sector.
Equipment and services
Find the list of SAFJA associate members at www.safja.co.za/safja-membership.html
- BeveraTech Tel: 021 873 0590 http://beveratech.co.za
- Central Milk Tel: 013 246 1094 www.centralmilk.com Fruit juice tanks
Refer to the “Packaging & handling systems” chapter.
- African Aloe www.africanaloe.co.za
- Associated Fruit Processors Tel: 021 859 7090 www.afp.co.za
- Boland Pulp – see Rhodes Food Group
- Bronpro Fruit Processors Tel: 071 659 3642 www.bronpro.co.za
- Cape Fruit Processors Tel: 013 790 3015 www.capefruits.co.za
- Ceres Fruit Processors Tel: 023 316 8000 www.cfp.co.za
- Clover Industries www.clover.co.za
- Coca-Cola www.coca-cola.co.za and www.appletiser.co.za
- Elvin Tel : 043 707 6200 www.elvin.co.za
- Euroberry Tel: 021 851 3462 www.euroberry.co.za
- Good Hope International Beverages Tel: 021 529 3980 www.ghib.com
- Granor Passi Tel: 015 298 6000 www.granorpassi.co.za
- In2food Tel: 011 593 2000 www.in2food.co.za
- Letaba Citrus Processors Tel: 012 804 7023
- Magaliesberg Citrus Tel: 012 256 9000 www.magaliescitrus.co.za
- Onderberg Verwerkingskoöperasie Tel: 013 790 1146 www.onderberg.com
- Orange River Concentrate Producers Tel: 054 337 8800 www.orangeriverwines.com
- Pacmar – see Rhodes Food Group
- Parmalat Tel: 021 809 1400 www.parmalat.co.za
- Pioneer Foods Tel: 021 974 4000 www.pioneerfoods.co.za, www.liquifruit.co.za and www.ceres.co.za
- Rhodes Food Group Tel: 021 870 4000 www.rhodesfoodgroup.com
- Shoprite Holdings House Brand www.shopriteholdings.co.za
- SIAS Tel: 021 705 0210/1 www.siasflavo.co.za
- Sir Juice Tel: 011 989 7700 www.sirjuice.co.za
- SOGA Organic Tel: 042 230 1376 www.sogaorganic.co.za
- Southern Canned Products Tel: 021 958 2180 www.scproducts.co.za
- Summerpride Tel: 043 700 6699 www.summerpride.co.za
- Two-a-Day Group Tel: 021 859 7500 www.tad.co.za
- Venco Fruit Processors Tel: 042 233 0438 www.vencofruit.co.za
- Vivit Foods Tel: 011 452 6730 www.vivit.co.za
Websites and publications
Visit the websites listed earlier in this chapter.
- The Food & Beverage Reporter frequently covers stories of interest to the fruit juice market.Visit http://fbreporter.co.za.
- Find videos by the AIJN and Juice CSR Platform on Youtube.
- The article “15 Health Benefits of Juicing, According to Science (+8 Delicious Recipes)” can be read at www.jenreviews.com/juicing.
- Using waste products from the juice manufacturing industry, a 16-year old South African school girl won a scholarship for her “ fighting drought with fruit” submission. Find this story from 2016 on the BBC website here.
- Find Insight Survey’s “SA Fruit Juice Industry Landscape Report” here.
- Readers will also find the article “Is SA’s Health Trend Boosting Fruit Juice Sales?” informative.
- The April edition of Die Krat http://canningfruit.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Die-Krat-April-2017.pdf provides an update on the proposed Sugar Tax on Sugar Sweetened Beverages.